At Nails and Beauty Killarney we only use LYCON wax for our treatments. LYCON enjoys a well deserved international reputation as the crème de la crème of depilatory waxes and is the wax of choice in top spas and salons in over 90 countries. Formulated with the finest resins, pure beeswax, sensuous aromatherapy and natural plant oils, LYCON is the world leader in quality waxes which deliver superior results every time.
Before your waxing appointment
- Ensure your unwanted hair is long enough to be removed completely. It should be at least a quarter of an inch. If your hair is too short, you could end up with stubble. This can lead to ingrown hairs.
- Do everything you can to prepare your skin. Waxing is much easier on skin that’s been moisturized and exfoliated for at least a week before. Waxing can hurt more on rough, flaky patches than on soft skin.
- Wear the right clothing. Waxing can be uncomfortable and sometimes painful. Tight clothes might cause discomfort, so opt to wear soft and loose-fitting clothing to your waxing appointment.
- Showering beforehand will help you get the most out of your waxing appointment. The warm water opens up your pores, removes dead skin cells, and softens the hair, allowing a smoother, less painful waxing process.
- Don’t shave, pluck or tweeze the area to be waxed. Hair grows in different cycles, so if you have recently shaved or tweezed in an area, it may be too short for waxing.
- Avoid fake tanning appointments. If you tan right before your appointment, the pigment can transfer onto the waxing strip, resulting in an uneven application of hard or soft wax. Tanned skin is more sensitive than un-tanned skin, so the pain of waxing services will be greater on the former.
- Exfoliating is particularly bad for your skin before a wax. While it makes your skin clearer by removing dead skin cells, it might affect the protective layer of oil that keeps your skin moisturized. It makes you more susceptible to ingrown hairs, redness, and dryness after waxing.
After your waxing appointment
- Moisturise your skin to prevent irritation, ingrown hair, and redness. Moisturizing will soothe any irritation or redness that may occur, especially after Brazilian waxes. A moisturiser keeps your pores open while they heal so they don’t get clogged with dead skin cells or other micro debris that would otherwise contribute to an ingrown hair problem.
- Wear loose clothing. Your skin will be more sensitive and prone to irritation for at least 48 hours after the service. Don’t wear tight clothing that might chafe or irritate any sensitive areas.
- After your waxing appointment, it’s important not to scrub or exfoliate the area. These actions can irritate your skin and cause redness and swelling. Instead, use lotion and numbing cream to moisturize the skin after waxing to soothe irritated areas.
- After you wax, your skin will be red and sensitive. You should avoid exposing the area to sunlight for about 48 hours after your waxing appointment. This is because sunlight can cause irritation and burning, leading to skin damage.
- Avoid saunas or hot tubs after a waxing session because this can irritate the skin. It can also lead to infection. Avoid swimming for at least 24 hours after your waxing appointment so that the pores of your skin do not swell up with water.
- You can damage your skin if you use gels, perfumes, creams containing retinol, alpha hydroxy acid (AHA), or salicylic acid within two days of waxing. These ingredients can increase skin sensitivity and irritate when used too soon after a waxing appointment.